Finalists Announced For The 2021 Santam Women Of The Future Awards In Association With Fairlady And Truelove
The entrepreneurs who entered the 2021 Santam Women of the Future Awards in association with FAIRLADY and TRUELOVE have once again inspired us with their entrepreneurial spirit, commitment to seeing their business ideas through, resilience, determination and the impact they are making in their community and to the South African economy.
The panel of judges presiding over the awards this year are Professor Thuli Madonsela (Chair of Social Justice at Stellenbosch University and founder of the Social Justice M-Plan and the Thuma Foundation), Dawn Nathan-Jones (social entrepreneur and professional speaker), Doreen Morris (television producer and presenter, broadcasting veteran and entrepreneur), Enid Lizamore (Group Executive Head of Human Resources at Santam), Suzy Brokensha (FAIRLADY editor) and Makhosazana Zwane-Siguqa (TRUELOVE editor).
‘The nearly 1 000 women who entered this year reaffirmed my belief in South Africa and my faith in the ability of the women in this country to build a strong, successful economy. They are so smart, so committed and so full of excellent ideas that our only way forward is up. I wish they could all win prizes, but they are all winners in my eyes.’ ~Suzy Brokensha, FAIRLADY editor.
‘I’m in awe of each of the finalists and their accomplishments. They all do incredible, inspiring work in their respective fields and communities.’ ~Makhosazana `Khosi` Zwane-Siguqa, TRUELOVE editor.
Santam’s many years of supporting women in business in South Africa have given the company valuable insight into the potential pitfalls of the entrepreneurial journey. Santam understands that the first 1 000 days of running a business are the hardest – if you’re still in business by day 1 001, they believe you’re in it for the long haul!
We are proud to announce this year’s finalists:
Woman of the Future 2021
The title is awarded to an entrepreneur aged 30 or older whose business is more than 1 000 days old and who is well on her way to establishing an extensive enterprise.
- Cara Saven of Cara Saven Wall Design, a décor company that designs, curates and produces large-format wallpaper for residential, commercial and hospitality properties. Her business has a foothold in the US, Netherlands, Dubai and Australia.
- Sibusiso Nomsa Raphekwane of The Transformation Legacy, an entrepreneur development company that provides entrepreneurs with skills development programmes to significantly grow their businesses.
- Vumile Msweli of Hesed Consulting, a career coaching firm for individuals and enterprises, with coaches in South Africa, Nigeria, Rwanda, Botswana and the US.
Social Entrepreneur 2021
The title is awarded to an entrepreneur aged 30 or older who is making a difference in her community. Her business/social enterprise/NPO has survived the first 1 000 days.
- Abigél Sheridan of Chic Mamas Do Care, a social enterprise and NPOthat supports educational development projects by selling pre-loved clothing in their Cape Town, Johannesburg and Durban stores. All proceeds go to selected project beneficiaries that focus on early childhood development.
- Suraya Williams of Design26 Foundation, an NPO that provides accredited sewing skills training on industrial sewing machines, employment and counselling, giving women in the local community the opportunity to be self-sustaining and independent.
- Zandile Mkwanaziof GirlCode, a social enterprise that aims to get more women into the tech industry, and facilitates the advancement of their skills through various training and outreach programmes.
Rising Star 2021
The title is awarded to an entrepreneur between 16 and 30 years old who is still within her first 1 000 days, but whose business, our judges believe, will flourish way beyond them.
- Ayanda Ngalo of Dial a Legal Assistant, which provides ad hoc legal assistant staffing capacity to temporarily understaffed law firms, government institutions and legal entities.
- Dr Peta-Anne Browne of Wardworx, a task management app that securely stores patient information, including ward and bed locations, so that doctors can collaborate on patient care.
- Nompilo Nxumalo of Ku Green Hands, a waste recycling company that regularly buys from more than 100 informal waste pickers and has secured recycling contracts with a few corporates.
- R100 000 in cash to the Woman of the Future and R60 000 in cash each to the Rising Star and the Social Entrepreneur from Santam
- A full-page advertisement in FAIRLADY or TRUELOVE to promote the business, social enterprise or NPO
- An hour’s invaluable mentorship with one of the judges
- A one-year supply of African Extracts Rooibos skincare products (beauty sponsor), worth R3 500
- A GetSmarter online short course, worth R11 900
- Leather accessories, worth R5 000, from Zemp
- Business printing, worth R5 000, from Lithotech
- A women’s branded watch, worth R6 599, from American Swiss Fine Jewellers
- A Samsonite Prodigy Spinner Expandable (55cm) carry-on, worth R5 000
Once again, we are opening up voting for the Readers’ Choice Award. To cast your vote, head to www.womenofthefuture.co.za or SMS the name Cara, Sibusiso, Vumile, Abigel, Suraya, Zandile, Ayanda, Peta-Anne or Nompilo to 37174. SMSes cost R1,50.
Watch the event live as we announce the winners of the three categories as well as the Readers’ Choice Award. During the show, our prestigious panel of judges will be discussing the tricky issue of building and maintaining your brand or team identity when your staff are working from home. We would love you to be part of the discussion, so please send in your questions during the show. The awards will be live-streamed on Friday, 15 October 2021 at 12.30pm with Doreen Morris as MC. Registration is free – go to www.crowdcast.io/e/2021-santam-wotf.
For full details on the finalists, get the latest issue of FAIRLADY magazine – on sale from 20 August 2021.
For award updates, follow the hashtags #SantamWOTF and #FAIRLADYxTRUELOVE on social media:
Santam: www.facebook.com/SantamInsurance on Facebook; @SantamInsurance on Twitter; and @Santam_Insurance on Instagram.
FAIRLADY: www.facebook.com/fairladymag on Facebook; @FairladyMag on Twitter; and @Fairlady_Magazine on Instagram.
TRUELOVE: www.facebook.com/TrueLoveMag on Facebook; @TrueLoveMag on Twitter; and @truelovemagazine on Instagram.
Distributed on behalf of Santam, and FAIRLADY & TRUELOVE magazines
Submitted by Media24.