One of SA’s top comedians, Sifiso Nene, is taking his latest comedy offering on the international comedy circuit for the very first time in May.
The Kwazulu-Natal-born performer’s show, BABY MAMA DRAMA 2, was such a success at the Lyric Theatre at Gold Reef City in Johannesburg at the end of last year that he is taking his show on the road – both in South Africa next month, and then the show moves to Dublin, Ireland for the very first time on 7 May.
The celebrated comedian will be performing at Silverstar Casino in Johannesburg on Friday, March 4 and Saturday, March 5 – which is only a few weeks away. He then moves on to the Rendevoux Theatre at The State Theatre in Pretoria for limited shows on Friday, March 25 and Saturday, March 26 before heading to Ireland in May to perform at the Parnell Centre in Dublin.
As the title suggests, Nene will be looking at the humorous side of an often sensitive subject as he delves into the hot topic of co-parenting for the second time.
“I never expected to write a second instalment since I believed I had gone through all the possible BABY MAMA DRAMA on my first show six years ago. However, the pandemic added more elements to my story and I decided to vent in the best way I know how, on stage,” said Nene
Nene launched his career in 2009 by winning the first season of So You Think You Are Funny – a nationwide talent search for up and coming comedians on SABC1. He then went on to prove that he is not a one-hit-wonder by winning the Comics Choice Awards in 2012 and 2013, in the Audience Choice category.
Fans of the witty entertainer are in for a treat as he touches on everything from taxi drivers to politics, and doesn’t shy away from his main topic.
‘’Whether you are someone who has baby mama drama, are dating someone who has baby mama drama, or are in fact the baby mama who has drama yourself, this show will have something for everyone,” says Nene.
Tickets for the South African leg of this mini comedy tour can be purchased via Computicket or via Checkers and Shoprite retail stores, countrywide, for R160-R200 each.
4-5 March 2022 – Silverstar Casino, Johannesburg
25-26 March 2022 – State Theatre (Rendevoux Theatre) in Pretoria
30 March 2022 – Suncoast (Barnyard Theatre) in Durban
7 May 2022 – Wooland Baa (Parnell Centre) in Dublin. Tickets available via Eventbrite
More About Sifiso Nene:
- Sifiso Nene holds the title as the first winner of the SABC 1 reality TV show, So You Think You are Funny! in 2009.
- Originally from Durban, he moved to Johannesburg in 2006 with the intention of being a scriptwriter for the comedy show Pure Manatee Show. He was told that his writing was better suited to stand-up comedy so he embarked on a career in stand-up.
- In 2008, he entered the David Kau reality competition show So You Think You’re Funny! and after a 13-week process was voted as the winner, pocketing R100 000 for his efforts.
- His win on the show led to greater exposure for Sifiso and he landed a slot on Opening Guys, a reality show on Mzansi Magic hosted by Kagiso Lediga, in 2010.
- Following his win, Nene also hit the corporate market as an MC and presenter, and also performed at various comedy festivals across the country.
- In 2012, he won the Audience Choice Award at the 2nd Annual South African Comics Choice Awards, which is voted for by the public.
- Also in 2012, he joined the SABC1 youth talk show Mzansi Insider as a contributor and also starred in the David Kau film Taxi Ride as Bhakabhaka, a rude, funny and stubborn taxi driver who always carries a sjambok and is the best friend of Dlamini (played by Skhumba Hlophe).
- He reprised this role in the spin-off television series which aired on Mzansi Magic and Mzansi Wethu in 2013.
Submitted by: Clayton Morar Media